There are two mistakes made by people who are selling their homes and looking for a real estate agent. They tend to base their choice on two things: who offers to give you the highest price for your house, and who asks for the lowest commission.
The Highest Suggested List Price
A price range should always be put into place. The range depends on a number of different factors; it could be a low end of ten thousand dollars, or the range might be even more than that. Things like market temperature, location of the property, and the existence of home improvements can all be deciding and contributing factors.
Below are a number of qualifications you should look for in an agent:
1. First and foremost should be experience. Newer agents will learn their business in due time, but you should go with an experienced one.
2. Make sure that your agent has all the proper education, including certifications and degrees.
3. You also want an honest agent, so trust your instincts when meeting prospective ones.
4. Agents who network are a good bet as well, because it is possible that your home will sell more quickly if your agent is discussing it with others in the trade.
5. A good agent will be aggressive, with great negotiating skills.
6. Your agent should be good at communication, and you should be able to communicate easily with your agent as well.
Last but not least, never discount the importance of a personal guarantee. When an agent will not give you this, move on quickly.